|SWITCH AFRICA GREEN LAUNCH|
SWITCH AFRICA GREEN PROJECT
- SWITCH Africa Green is an EU funded programme implemented by United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP) in collaboration with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS).
- SWITCH Africa Green has been developed to support African countries in their transition to an Inclusive Green Economy and in promoting a shift to Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) patterns and practices.
- The Ministry in partnership with the Uganda Cleaner Production Center (UCPC were successful and got a support grant under Green business Component B -Promoting Sustainable Consumption and Production Practices and Eco-entrepreneurship.
- Improve energy productivity and reduce adverse environmental impacts through adoption and implementation of energy efficient techniques and practices in MSMEs in the Manufacturing Sector.
- To create awareness about energy management and conservation among policy makers and MSMEs.
- To facilitate adoption and implementation of energy efficient techniques and practices in order to create model MSMEs for sustainable energy use in the sector.
- To spur job creation in MSMEs and contribute to poverty reduction at household levels.
ACTIVITIES TO BE UNDER TAKEN
- Creating awareness by providing information on the project to all relevant stakeholder (i.e. Policy makers, MSMEs and Industrial associations, Academia, Regulatory Agencies).
- Training MSMEs, in house training on the different aspects of energy management including data collection and interpretation.
- Conducting a detailed energy audit to identify areas of improvement.
- Providing technical support to the various enterprises in formulating company energy efficient policies, programmes and strategies.
- Disseminating the results and technical reports.
- Reduction of energy bills ( costs)
- Be assisted to develop a documented energy management system that can be used to efficiently and optimally utilize energy resources in the company.
- Reduction of emissions through minimization of non-clean energy while promoting use of clean energy sources.
- Successful enterprises shall serve as model enterprises for benchmarking by other enterprises.
IDENTIFIED POTENTIAL BUSINESSES
The project during implementation is focusing on the following sub-sectors:
Iron and Steel, Metal fabrication and Foundries,Sugar manufacturing, Beverages processing enterprises, Tea processing factories,, Dairy processing industries, Textiles and garments manufacturing, Leather Tanneries Industries and Bakeries.
ROLES OF PARTICIPATING COMPANIES
- Providing commitment to the implementation of the project activities such as allowing the staff to undertake training sessions at no cost.
- Fixing the identified gaps in order to minimize energy costs and to make the production process energy efficient.