THE INTERNAL TRADE DEPARTMENT
This Department is responsible for developing, coordinating, regulating, promoting and facilitating domestic trade. Its main functions are to;
• Initiate and formulate policies, legislation and strategies for domestic trade development;
• Coordinate the design of policy interventions that promote the competitiveness of Ugandan products and services domestically and internationally;
• Collaborate with other Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), Development Partners, the Private Sector, Civil Society and Academia in the design and implementation of programmes and interventions to promote domestic trade;
• Facilitate smooth flow of trade through provision of trade and market information;
• Support capacity building, and participate in trade negotiations to secure and expand markets for Ugandan products and services;
• Manage and coordinate integration within COMESA, EAC and other regional economic communities;
• Undertake and evaluate trade research, manage and disseminate trade information that promotes domestic trade;
• Facilitate trade diversification and smooth flow of trade;
• Monitor trade practices and policies; evaluate trade research; and Collaborate with Private Sector associations and Government Institutions in regulating trade.
• Formulate Laws, Policies, Strategies and Plans that promote a competitive private sector for economic growth and development of the Country.
• Monitor and Supervise the implementation of Policies, Laws and Strategies for sustainable growth of domestic trade in the country.
• Build capacity of Public Institutions and the Private Sector for domestic trade growth in the country.
• Support market research and provision of trade information.
• Promote Economic integration and increased market access for domestic trade growth.
• Provide and facilitate supporting infrastructure for domestic trade growth.
Plan for Internal Trade Department 2016/2017
- Draft Gift Policy
- Draft Market and Supermarket guidelines and submit to Cabinet;
- Make Inventory of locally produced goods and services conducted [BUBU];
- Print Application Forms and certificates printed and issued for Non-citizens traders, Tobacco and Travelling wholesaler Licenses country wide;
- Avail Hire purchases Application Forms and Licenses
- Submit Sale of Goods and Supply of services Bill to Parliament
- Submit Anti-Counterfeits Goods Bill to Parliament
- Draft BUBU Implementation Strategy developed
- Draft Consumer Protection Bill and Competition Bill to Ministry of Justice for Legal Guidance
- Application Forms and Certificates printed and issued for Non-citizen Traders and
- Print and Issue Tobacco Buying Licenses