The Department of Industry and Technology is responsible for
- Policy formulation, planning and coordination; and promoting the expansion, diversification and competitiveness of the industrial and technological sector.
The functions of the department are to:
- Initiate and formulate policies, legislation and strategies for industrial and technological development;
- Promote industrial research, science and innovation;
- Acquire, develop, advance and promote appropriate technologies;
- Collect, analyze and disseminate information on industry sector for policy guidance and decision making;
- Support the development and transformation of the informal sector (Jua-kali) and indigenous
- Support development of Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and industries with a major focus on backward and forward linkages;
- Develop and promote standardization, quality assurance, laboratory testing, metrology and accreditation to enhance competitiveness of local industries, ensure consumer protection, and enforce compliance with technical regulations;
- Develop specialized skills to support industrial and technological development;
- Encourage the establishment of backward and forward linkage industries with special
- emphasis to agro-processing and other aspects of the country's competitive advantage;
- Coordinate, promote and support establishment of linkages and partnerships with other
- Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) and Private Sector to enhance values and benefits from the sector;
- Oversee the operations of the Uganda Industrial Research Institute (UIRI);
- Oversee the operations of the Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS);
- Oversee the operations of the Management Training and Advisory Centre (MTAC);
- Oversee the operations of the Uganda Development Corporation Ltd (UDC);
- Formulate Laws, Policies, Strategies and Plans that foster accelerated Industrial and
- Technological growth in the Country for economic growth and development.
- Monitor and supervise the implementation of Policies, Laws and Strategies for sustainable industrial and technological growth in the country.
- Build capacity of Public Institutions and the Private Sector (including MSMEs) for industrial and technological growth in the country.
- Promote Value Addition for Industrial and Technological growth.
- Provide and facilitate supporting infrastructure for Industrial and Technological growth.
Development Projects Overseen by Department of Industry
Soroti Fruit Factory under the Executive Director - Uganda Development Corporation
One Village One Product Programme Under the Commissioner – Industry and Technology
Support to Innovation under the EV Car Project University Secretary
- Next >>