HE the President has severally directed that all Government Minisries, Departments and Agencies must procure goods and services locally whenever appropriate in order to support the local enterprises and also as one strategy to transform our country into a middle income status.
In pursuit of the same Directive, the Government of Uganda through the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives formulated the Buy Uganda Build Uganda (BUBU) Policy which was approved by Cabinet in October 2014.
- Objective of BUBU
The Policy is aimed at “promoting the consumption of locally produced goods and services”.
The policy aims at increasing the consumption of local products through public procurement and encouraging the Private Sector to consume locally originating products thus increasing the participation of the locally established firms in domestic trade.
- The BUBU Implementation Strategy
The Strategy was finalized in June 2016 to chart a way to achieve the BUBU Policy objectives. It spells out five broad strategic objectives namely;
- To take stock of the local producers and improve their capacity to supply
- Enhance the quality and competitiveness of local products and services
- Increase efficiency and participation of local producers in public sector procurement
- Increase the visibility of local products in local outlets
- Increase awareness about the BUBU Policy
- Why Uganda needs BUBU
- The implementation of the Policy is crucial for the country to attain the middle income status
- It is a landmark policy which if successfully implemented will change the fortunes of local producers and suppliers of domestic products
- BUBU will enhance the competitiveness of local products
- BUBU will boost the growth of MSMEs which form the biggest percentage of the Private Sector (90%)
- BUBU will contribute enormously to employment and solve the unemployment problem.
- Sectors/Products and Services for BUBU
BUBU Policy will focus on the following sectors/products in the first three years of implementation;
- Construction; for roads, railways and dams
- Leather and footwear
- Foods and beverages
- Oil and Gas
- Legal services
- Accountancy services
- The Launch of the BUBU Policy and Implementation Strategy
The Rt. Hon. Prime Minister Dr. Ruhakana Rugunda will officially launch the BUBU Policy and the BUBU Implementation Strategy.
Date: Thursday 2nd March 2017
Venue: Conference Hall in the Office of the Prime Minister
Time: 9:00 am